From June 20th to July 9th, 2010, this blog will follow the adventures of a University of Maryland study-abroad class in London, England. We will be participating in both the London Pride Festival and the London Literature Festival, meeting with local scholars, gallery directors, and writers, and attending theatrical, musical, and literary events. Follow along with us!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

“But do let us go. Dorian, you must not stay here any longer. It is not good for one’s morals to see bad acting,” said Lord Henry in Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray, and I could not agree more. After the horrible first act of Love the Sinner, I would have been happy to leave, but hoped that the second half might redeem it. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The play must have been written when the writers were on strike, and the director must have told the actors that if they weren’t sure what to do, they should start yelling their lines. While the play definitely had potential, it never realized it, and my morals have been degraded because of it.

Earlier in the day, we went to an exhibit of photographs by the artist Wolfgang Tillmans. It was interesting, though not exactly to my taste. The pictures that stood out to me were one of a German biker glaring at the camera, and one of a seated man pulling a splinter from the bottom of his foot. I’m not sure what appealed to me about the picture of the biker, but it was probably his expression of obvious distrust of the photographer. As for the man with the splinter, being as obsessed as I am with Classical and Renaissance art, it makes sense that I’d appreciate an allusion to Spinario. I can’t say I really liked the rest of the photos, but our discussion of them was interesting and definitely made the experience worthwhile for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.